Sunday, November 6, 2011

2011 Cascade Lakes Relay, Chapter 7: My Final Leg


My third and final leg was going to be rough.  It was hot, uphill, and I was spent.  I really had no energy left for this.  Although I had already suffered through my first two legs, not that badly though, I could still see life’s little pleasures and that a lot of stuff in this world is just funny to me.  But that phase of my life was about to end.  My new life would be full of peril, and things and people just weren’t going to be as funny anymore.

I exchanged with Shelley and took off up the hill—a gradual one, remember.  I actually didn’t feel that bad.  Maybe this was going to be all right. 
A half mile later I was already struggling, and I still had seven miles left to go. 

Another half mile and I thought, I bet I’m not looking all that pretty now.  And I started remembering things, as if my life was beginning to pass before me, and I saw these things from a new humorless perspective.  I remembered how things I once thought were funny just didn’t seem funny anymore: weird dreams about missing my first two legs of the relay, my Garmin flying off my arm, my chasing an elusive cloud shadow, the man who gave us a weather report when we asked if there were showers available, almost missing my exchange with Shelley because I was waiting in the potty line, the woman who enjoys the Cascade Lake Relays more than Christmas or her own birthday, the little girl playing waitress and asking me if I wanted orange juice which comes with what I paid for, the image of Connor running with tie-dye Nip-Guards with tassels on them, etc.  Those things used to seem funny to me.  And now they don’t.

I knew I was entering some kind of danger zone when the van pulled over.  Shana got out and ran with me for a ways.  She told me, “If you want, Kristi can finish your leg for you.”  She didn’t even ask how I was doing or how I felt.  She’s just throwing me a life preserver before I was even ready to acknowledge I was drowning.  I looked that bad.  I knew I felt bad, but it’s still kind of a shock to realize it’s so apparent, just by the way I look.  And I imagined the discussion that must have taken place in the van and who was placing bets on my living and who was betting on my demise.  And then Shana—Shana, my life saver, my angel—saying, “That’s enough.  We can’t joke about this anymore.”  And I imagined her saying, panicked, “What are we going to do?”  And maybe Kristi stepped up and said, “Stand back, I’ll take his leg.”  Or maybe Shana demanded, “Kristi, I’m your mother, and you will take his leg.  I will not have a runner die on my watch.”  In the old days I would have found this imaginary conversation humorous.  But not anymore.

I told her I was fine.

I knew that I would be reevaluating that decision for the rest of the run, and I held onto the option that I could change my mind, and Kristi could run for me.  Then I remembered two years ago when I did a long run training in Mammoth Lakes, California, where a lot of famous distance runners train, because of the high altitude.  It was hot and I was out of breath, probably because of the thin air.  I had parked my car along the road and planned to run out and back.  On the way back, I did run by Ryan Hall, the marathoner.  He was running, while an SUV drove beside him.  Now don’t get me wrong here when I say I ran by Hall.  I met him going the opposite way, and we passed each other on our way in opposite directions.  I did not pass him because I’m so fast.  He was coming towards me on the other side of the road, blasting by just about the time I was slowing way down.  A few more miles and still three miles from my car, I hit a serious wall.  I actually scared myself.  I think I was entering a stage that could only be called a medical emergency.  I had no support vehicle, no cell phone, no nothing, and I had to get back to the car.  I walked a lot those last three miles and felt like I barely made it.  If I made it then, I should be able to get through this Cascade Lakes thing.

I don’t remember too much about the run after that.   I remember Kristi shooting me with a spray bottle, and that felt good.  I remember Connor ran with me a ways, and then Shana jumped out of the car and blew me away with a semi-automatic squirt gun that almost knocked me over.  I know her intentions were good and pure, and I told her I appreciated it, but the huge stream of cold was a little intense.   I did appreciate the thought though, but the actual ammo hit me hard.  I liked it better when I got by her, and she was shooting me in the back.

I think I remember Kristi running with me for a while, probably to verify that she was willing to take my leg.  This maybe didn’t happen though.  Kristi might have been a vision—a beautiful angel, volunteering to run for me.

Shana gave me this thing to wrap around my neck that was full of ice.  I think she said she got it from Sherri.  It was nice.  It might have what I needed and what got me through this.

At some point I remember hearing footsteps coming up behind me.  That didn’t surprise me because I was definitely shuffling along at this point.  But what did surprise me was that the footfalls sounded like shuffling as well.  Was it actually possible that there was another gear for shuffling?  I decided I’d let him pass.  I waited for him to pass.  I kept waiting for him to pass.  What the hell?  He was riding me, staying half a pace behind.  In my youth that used to be my position before I would outkick the competition to win.  I didn’t like him back there.  It felt threatening.  It felt like pressure, too much pressure.  He was going to make me set the pace, and all I wanted to do was to be left alone to suffer in my own misery.  So I walked.  And it worked; he passed me.  Man, what has become of me that I just buckle so willingly under the pressure? 

I was glad to be rid of him, so I started moving my feet again in a motion that resembled running, and then, oh no, he walked.  I was in no mood to play this slow-motion cat and mouse game with him, but I wanted to keep running so I could get this done, really done, my last leg.  So, dreadfully, I passed him.  This went back and forth, and I’ll have to admit I lost track of who was where, so I don’t know who finally won in this competition.  I don’t care if he was behind me or ahead of me.  I just wanted him away from me.

I don’t know how, but somehow I finished.  I handed off to Sheri.  This leg could have been my moment in the sun.  Maybe I didn’t reach any moment of glory, but my moment in the sun came to an end, and it was hot!

Shana led me a short distance away to the Deschutes Bridge, then down to the riverside, down to the riverside for some kind of baptism.  She told me to put my feet into the river, and as much of my legs as I felt comfortable with.  First of all, I hate cold water, and isn’t this the woman who just blasted a hole through my chest with cold water?  Second, I didn’t want to put the effort into taking my shoes off and then walking on sharp rocks.  Just as I’m thinking this, Shana tells me to just go into it with my shoes on.  I didn’t want to put any effort into thinking about why this seemed like a bad idea or in arguing with her.  It did occur to me that I would never do this in my right mind, but here was this free-spirited woman telling me to do this, and it just seemed easier to follow her command, so I walked into the river with my shoes still on my feet.  And it felt great!  It was the best decision I never made for myself.  I might call Shana next time I have a big decision to make.

I stood in the water of the Deschutes River, and let the cold water soothe my legs.  I was finished—something to cheer, if only I had the energy.

So it was time to feel pity for Van 2.  I was done feeling sorry for myself and how hard our legs were compared to Van 2.  I’ve got it easy now.  They all had a leg still left to go, while I, along with my van mates, soon would be at the finish line, eating food, drinking beer, and just relaxing in the comfort of knowing I did this.  I did this thing, and it was not easy, but I’m done, and there’s some consolation in that.

(To be continued.)

No comments:

Post a Comment